Monday, June 21, 2010

A little bit of sugar



















Billington's Muscavado Sugar from England.

My excuse for not giving up sugar. I have cut back and used much less because I see what too much of anything can do and the diseases caused by our excess ways. I critique every snack I buy so very little in the way of soft drinks and sugary stuff gets into the house. But God gave me the ability to crave for a reason dammit! I WILL enjoy sugar on occasion in small enough quanitites to appease my craving for sweets. AND what I won't do is to buy into the pandering by companies that would have me believe they can fullfill my dream of a calorie free sweetener. Artifical sweeteners taste aweful! Will everyone just admit it right now and be over it already? Stop the deception! Even Stevia doesn't get my vote. It tastes just like the fake stuff(or should I say engineered stuff?). I don't care if it came from the most precious plant with the ability to reseed itself, water itself and it could send you emails when its ready for harvest! After the taste treat and craving fulfillment, I will give myself a lesson in self control and tell myself, 'no, you had enough. Suck it up right now!!" A reflex of the afterlife of my 7 weeks in spent in Army Reserve boot camp in the 70's listening to drill sergreants yelling at us to hold up our shelter halves. The military will leave their mark alright, mostly in a good way. Those who know me know I got kicked out for having one leg shorter by more than 1/2 inch. Funny thing is that I told them it was at least 13 cm shorter when I enlisted. They took me anyways.

Back to the brown crack. This stuff is so good. It's got to be the Queens brown sugar already! At least I would like to think so. A little bit goes a long way on hot oatmeal, hot apples and caramelized onions or sprinkled in my Peach Stuff (recipe later). Its amazing. You can taste the molasses that is still in there as God originally intended and the molasses hasn't been added back to sugar already bleached and processed. In being frugal sometimes the lesson is you get what you pay for so pay for quality. If you will use a lot less and it tastes better you are going to save in the long run. But add up how many times you get to live like the Queen rather than the pauper that you are after the government taxes, kids tuition and keeping up all of those things you've been brainwashed to believe you need for existence.

I know it will be hard to find. I buy mine from a food co-op once a month. I buy just enough to get through the month and I have yet to use more than 1/2# a month. Now I know that is way less than the 150# average they accuse Americans of consuming. But what would life be without a little bit of sugar?

This post dedicated to Jody.

1 comment:

  1. I like this! I'm the same way... I totally crave sweets and I don't think it's bad to indulge. I'm excited to start learning more natural recipes, and little by little exchanging what I have in my kitchen... whole wheat for white flour, more natural sugar instead of the refined stuff. :) yay!

    ReplyDelete